So my sister over at cinemacatechesis nominated me for this award, and I am grateful that she’s trying to help me get more followers. However, you might want to check out http://sopphey.onimpression.com/2012/05/liebster-blog-award-origins.html. The Liebster award is kind of a chain-letter-type thing, and that can turn off a lot of people. But if you’re a struggling writer/blogger looking for more support (and that’s a lot of us), then you’ll recognize the hand UP and be interested in playing along. Since this is a self-perpetuating award, feel free (as I did) to change the rules to suit you and your followers and your blog.
LIEBSTER AWARD RULES:
- List eleven random facts about yourself.
- Nominate (eleven) bloggers for the award.
- Let them know about the nomination.
- Answer the eleven questions you were asked when you were nominated.
- Ask eleven questions for the new award winners to answer.
1. Random Facts about me…
- I have two working microwaves in my kitchen. I used them both simultaneously. One cooks the main dish and the other is for sides. Or I cook my dinner and my son’s at the same time. It’s also great for popcorn on movie nights with friends over. And yet people look at me funny, or assume the one over the stove must be broken… I don’t get it.
- About 9 months ago, I had LASEK eye surgery, and went from not being able to see my hand in front of my face without glasses to waking up each morning seeing 20/20 or 20/15 (better than 20/20). I was so scared to have this surgery done, because I’d heard a lot of negatives, but I can honestly say that it is one of the best things I’ve ever done. Glasses were like a cast and crutches for a broken leg, and surgery is healing the leg so the cast and crutches are unnecessary.
- I’ve JUST published my third book, The Carley Patrol, on Amazon.com August 11, 2013.
- I have one brother and three sisters. There are 19 years between oldest and youngest. I am not the oldest. My brother is the youngest.
- The only foreign country I’ve ever been to is Canada. I’ve been there twice. I speak a little French, but didn’t have to use it where I went.
- I’m a Shakespeare nut, which means I know a lot about the plays I like, a fair bit about the time period in which the work was allegedly done, have memorized a few sonnets, and know more than the average person. That said, anyone wanting to stump me with some aspect of Shakespeare probably can. I am much more interested in knowing what I know and liking what I like than studying something to the point it’s no longer fun just to know more than the next person. I call it maturity, but that’s probably not it.
- I love to do puzzles. I’m not the fastest or the best, but that’s not even the cool part. When I’ve done a puzzle, I transfer it to a piece of posterboard, tape or staple window-covering plastic to it, and HANG IT UP ON THE WALL. No glue. No puzzle adhesive. Sometimes pieces fall, and I scootch them back into place either through the plastic or having to take down the puzzle and fix it. My favorite is the puzzle I put up in the corner of the room — just creased it through the middle to fit in the corner. It’s a patience thing, or it’s a stubborn determination thing, but I love it. And I love the surprised look on people’s faces when they realize those pictures are puzzles, and there’s no puzzle glue!
- I’m still waiting for Guinness Book of World Records to contact me about my Pickiest Eater on the Planet Award. I’m not bragging. It’s really difficult to commune with people who so often gather around food when so many things turn my stomach. People are easily offended if you don’t even try, but they don’t know the willpower it takes just to stay in the same room with noxious smells, which are more numerous for me than for other people.
- I am a Dr. Pepper addict. Enough said.
- Halloween is my favorite holiday, which is kind of silly since I don’t eat much in the way of candy and I don’t like face paint on my face. This Halloween, I’ll be able to see. That might make a difference with the face painting aversion…
- I love to sing. This will surprise no one who has ever met me.
Eleven Five (in no particular order)
- http://wordpress.com/#!/read/blog/id/26133433/ (may also try: http://jennmcclory.com/)
- http://writingyourstories.wordpress.com/ Val Mills
- http://ultimatecoupontracker.wordpress.com/Oops! I follow 15 blogs. Five are listed here, one nominated me, five have too many followers to qualify (over 200, by the rules I’m using), and the others either: don’t do things like this, have abandoned their WordPress blogs for paid blog sites, or spend their time actually writing or IRL, not doing blogging games. I wish all the sites I follow the best, but I want to respect this “award,” which means only sending it to like-minded (re:blogs and blogging) and like-blogging folks!
3. I will be contacting the six links above once I publish this (very long!!) post!
4. My Answers
- What pets have you had (species, breed, etc.)? My family owned collies when I was little. Two were called mine, but were they really? Same with my dad’s horses, and the family goldfish, which never lasted long. As an adult, we’ve had sea monkeys. Lots of sea monkeys.
- What’s your favorite Movie? Why? There are so many I really like, and for different reasons. I love Labyrinth and Ice Castles. I love First Knight and Always. I love movies with a good soundtrack, a good storyline, a good message, or any combination. There are a lot of movies that have come out recently that I love, but I don’t know whether I will still love them as much 5-10-20 years from now. So I don’t include them in my list (yet).
- What Actor / Actress would you most like to meet? I’m not interested in meeting one unless we are working on a cause together or I’m interviewing them to cast them in the screen version of one of my books. Actors and actresses put their pants on one leg at a time, like anybody else, and I already have opinions based on the roles they’ve chosen or interviews they’ve done. If an actor makes me starstruck, the last thing I’d want is for him/her to know about it!!
- You win the lottery. You’ve paid off all your debts and upgraded houses and cars, what do you do with the rest of the money? Scholarships and start-up funding for creative business ventures.
- Are you a city or country dweller? Were you raised that way or have you been transplanted? I am a rural city girl. I need more human neighbors and less coons and skunks. Yet apartment life is a little claustrophobic for me. I’m still trying to find the perfect living situation for me and my family.
- What is the background on your computer, phone or tablet? Whatever one of the boys put there. On my phone, it’s my son. But I rarely own my own tech.
- What is your favorite childhood book / book series? You see, I only have one kid so I don’t have to answer this “favorite” question. Right now, the Pigeon books by Mo Willems are my go-to books for reading aloud at various places. I loved Berenstain Bears when I was little. One day, people in bear costumes came to the mall. While I knew they weren’t “real,” I had it in my head that Stan and Jan’s family were in the costumes and so I needed to believe they were real. I had them all sign my book — I still have it.
- What Genre of music do you listen to the most? Top 40? Rock? I don’t like Classical, some country I really like and some I can’t change the channel fast enough. Of course, the same can be said for rock and top 40. I like more than I don’t — but what I don’t like, I really don’t like.
- What’s one thing you think others think is strange about you? See Random Facts #1 and #8, which is two things, but only giving info on two things out of the LONG LIST of things people think are strange about me — will make you you marvel at my restraint.
- What’s one place you really want to visit, but are scared to? I’m too cheap and too practical to want to travel. I am where I want to be geographically, if not in the perfect housing situation, which I am currently working to remedy.
- What is your favorite quote? It can be from anyone, living dead, famous or not.
I have two:
Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you’re SCARED TO DEATH!!! H WILSON
If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered. EA POE
5. Questions that Need Answering
- Will you carry forward this award, or dismiss it as spam/chain mail?
- How much of your blogging is professional, and how much is guilty pleasure?
- What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done — dare or not?
- What’s a way that your life majorly changed?
- When people describe you as _____________________, your gut reaction is _________________.
- Do you finish books or quit them? Why?
- Who or what do you admire? Why?
- What is a goal that you are working on?
- Is there a dream you think is unattainable at this point? Why or why not?
- What is something you have to share with others — including complete strangers?
- What question are you tired of answering?